Back pain afflicts nearly half of the American workforce each year. What many people don’t realize is that when a backache lasts for more than a few months, it’s regarded as a chronic condition. Even worse, when pain becomes just a way of life, it affects your overall health, wellbeing, and emotional state.
The best option for back pain is physical therapy, since it can stretch and strengthen muscles as well as realign bone structure. Unfortunately, this isn’t sufficient for everyone. There are conditions, like skeletal irregularities, osteoporosis, or ruptured discs, that need more care, and there are other people who just don’t respond well to physical therapy.
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are the most commonly prescribed medicines for dealing with a bad back. Ibuprofen and epidural steroid injections are among such options, and opioid pain medications are the last resort. However, even the most innocent-sounding NSAIDs come with unwanted side effects after prolonged use (even without considering opioid dependency).
There is hope for those who want to avoid NSAIDs and for those who can’t rely on physical therapy. The University of Colorado’s Spine Center conducted a study in which 80% of the participants found that cannabis was just as effective as opioids in treating their pain, and in some cases it was even more beneficial.
If you suffer from chronic back pain, medical cannabis may be the right choice for you. Just as there are many different types of needs, there are many strains of cannabis to choose from to address your individual symptoms:
- ACDC: A sativa-dominant hybrid with especially high levels of CBD, it effectively reduces chronic pain (including neck and back pain).
- Bubba Kush: An indica-dominant strain, relatively psychoactive for its type, that offers relief from stress as well as from muscle tension.
- Candyland: A sativa-dominant strain that relieves stress, reduces chronic pain and muscle spasms, and has energizing properties.
- Granddaddy Purple: An indica strain that helps reduce stress, tension, appetite loss, insomnia, and chronic pain.
- Gorilla Glue: A balanced hybrid that relieves back pain and promotes deep sleep.
- Harlequin: A strain comparatively high in CBD levels, it relieves pain and provides a therapeutic, calming effect without a high.
- Headband: A hybrid combining low CBD levels with THC levels that can reach up to 29%, it relieves muscle tension and pain.
- OG Kush: An indica-dominant strain with high THC levels, it produces a euphoric high while relieving muscle spasms and pain.
- Purple Kush: An indica-dominant hybrid with pain-relieving properties similar to those of OG Kush, but without as much of a high, which makes it better for daytime use.
- Skywalker OG: An indica strain that can effectively reduce stress, pain, and symptoms (like muscle tension) that contribute to back pain.
- Sour Tsunami: A hybrid with some of the highest CBD levels, it offers pain relief suitable for people who are sensitive to THC.
- Uncle Andy: A strain that produces an intense high that can last as long as three hours and seems to relieve back pain and discomfort.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!